Wednesday, January 01, 2014

New Year’s Day, 2014



The new year came to Ottawa with a high, clear sky, a pale winter sun refracting off smooth expanses of pristine white snow. With the temperature around minus 30 C in the morning, the packed snow on the pavements squeaked. 

By afternoon, the temperature has warmed to the minus 20 C range. The radio meteorologists say the wind chill is even colder, but I haven’t noticed much wind. To me, this is ideal, the perfect temperature for enjoying the world. You have to be dressed for it, of course, but I love the look of dark green spruce trees against a pale blue sky and pure white snow, the feeling of cold air on my face and in my nose while my body is warm inside my clothes.


A perfect Canadian New Year’s Day! Welcome, 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment